Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Horse Joke

I told my favorite joke today. I've always thought "telling a joke" was a weird phrase. You tell a story, sure, but for some reason "telling" a joke just sounds odd to me. But I digress... It's my favorite because I seriously cannot tell it without smiling and it always makes me laugh. Most jokes work with misdirection or unexpected placement of the punch line but all of the classics work on delivery, which is why we sometimes hear "some people just can't tell a joke."

Think of some of the jokes that you love... in your minds eye you probably see the guy telling it with all the body language included that helps make it funny. Most good jokes need a little visual "ummph" to help make it work. Which is another reason I love this one... it's funny by itself. The listener can't help but create his own visual. So here it is... you be the judge.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you heard the one about the minister who preaches a sermon on sex, but tells his wife the topic was sailing?

Anonymous said...

How ironic - do you know, literally, that is the ONE joke I can actually remember? Meredith and I had that VERY SAME discussion just a few days ago - she wanted a little joke to tuck away in her brain and use at will. So I told her the horse joke (since it was the only one in residence in my brain) and we talked about the play on words ("long face" meaning sad, "long face" as in, long face). We didn't get into the fact that a horse was in a bar. I always remember you using lots and lots of puns - I was (and still am not) that clever.

Kelly said...

Poor punctuation in that last post - forgive me. I'm on my first sip of coffee.

Anonymous said...

The "horse" is actually Sarah Jessica Parker, right? If so, I get it.

George said...

One time I walked into a bar and the bartender asked "Hey Buddy, why the fat face?" I turned around and left.

Kyle said...

I once walked into a bar.
I hurt my head.

meat said...

two guys walk into a bar. you would think the 2nd guy would've ducked.

Anonymous said...

I needed a pick me up at work- played this again and got a good laugh. Thanks
Anon

Anonymous said...

Well said.