Friday, April 11, 2008

Desert Island Discs


Some magazine... Rolling Stone, I think, has (or had) a column where folks would submit their selections for albums to have with them if they found themselves stranded on a desert island... with a CD player.... and power supply, I imagine. I've thought about that lately and made a list. I discovered that I think my list would change over time. I only hope that when I get Fed-Exed to a remote paradise, I have a good list at the time. What 10 albums would you choose?

My List: (in no particular order)

Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory (an easy one)

Rich Mullins - A Liturgy, A Legacy, and a Ragamuffin band (another easy one)

Rush - Hold Your Fire ( rush would always make the list and I should choose a collection but I have to go with this one)

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper (I really wanted to put the Revolver album here to be cool but I just like this one better)

Bob Seger - Greatest Hits ( this is strange to me. no reason to include it except I listened to it on a trip last week and loved every second)

Bruce Springsteen - Greatest Hits ( I just wish it were longer)

David Wilcox - How Did You Find Me Here (like when you run across Shawshank Redemption or Jaws on cable TV you have to watch? same here)

DC Talk - Jesus Freak (love it, love what I remember when I hear it)

Pink Floyd - Pulse (hello... who wouldn't have it)

Simon & Garfunkle - Greatest Hits (would help if a babe were stranded with you)

4 comments:

Charlotte said...

Great post. I have that deserted island mentality when I load my iPod. "What if I get stuck somewhere, and can't make changes? Will I really want to listen to this much Abba music? What will I want to listen to five days from now?"

Kyle said...

No G.G. Allin?

George said...

I was just about to use that "desert island" bit in an album review on iTunes. It was for Pat Coil's Schemes and Dreams, my alltime favorite piano jazz album.

Anonymous said...

I would definitely have to include some Rolling Stones (they may even take up two of my ten choices), some Van Morrison, some Steely Dan and some Steve Miller band. Also Rod Stewart (don't throw rotten fruit at this one). I also love a little classical (I'm not picky) and jazz. May two jazzes (again, not picky). Interesting thoughts to ponder - thanks for the plug!