Monday, December 29, 2008

State Quarters

About 10 years ago, I was at a local video store renting the video tape de jour. The place was called Moovies. "Moovies" was a cute place. They had a cow as a mascot... and well, that was about it, I guess, but I digress. Anyway, the guy behind the counter gave me my change and I noticed a strange thing. A goofy looking quarter with Delaware on it.

I said, "Hey, pal, what are trying to pull? You're messing with the wrong amigo, amigo!" And then I punched him in the neck. He asked me to relax and said it was a new quarter. They were doing a new one for each state over the next ten years. I said that I was going to check into that and if I found otherwise, I'd be back for him and his little dog too. Turns out he was right. I've saved each new state quarter that I got and as of this afternoon, thanks to Hawaii, I've completed the set. I wish now that I kept at least two so I'd have two sets but then I'd want three... and on and on and on.

True story, except for the neck punching part, I dressed that up. At the very least, I've managed to save $12.50 over the last ten years. Not too shabby.

4 comments:

Kyle said...

Sayyy. Some of them states look like you stuffed pennies into the slots. What are you trying to pull?

Charlotte said...

That's too weird. Mark and I did a massive clean-out of our bedroom this weekend - we found all kinds of things we'd forgotten about - Mark's second place medal for the fifth grade spelling bee, some computer speakers, and ... you guessed it ... our state quarters map! Just like yours! Only ours was filled up exclusively in the east coast region. We either forgot about the map, or maybe got frustrated trying to cram those little quarters in those littler holes. At any rate, we came out $4.50 to the good. I admire your discipline.

George said...

Cool. Yall can go to the arcade or the laundry mat and have a party...American syle.

meat said...

can i borrow a texas, california, georgia and a maine? i need to buy a drink.