Monday, October 27, 2008

Halloween Scariness-ness

Following the lead of fellow blogger Kyle, I've been trying to beef up on my scary Halloween movies this season. I've gotten several under my belt including "The Ring" (awesome), "FearDotCom" (sucks), and other unfinished disasters. I hit the jackpot over the weekend, though. TiVo explained to me that a little known horror movie was playing and I might like to check it out. Little did Master TiVo know that it hit a nerve with it's suggestion of "The Beast Within."

I often talk about wormholes here and this is a good example. When I was about 13 I guess, this classic film was new. It was sold as horribly horrific and anyone who watched the last 30 minutes would instantly BURST INTO DEATH while sitting in the theater with their jeroboam of popcorn and Diet Coke spilling out all over the floor.

I didn't grow up watching any R-rated, booze filled gore fest sex romp on HBO that I wanted to so I had to take what I could get when I could get it. I actually don't think I ever saw it through in one sitting. All I remember was how horrifying the parts I saw were and how I think of that film as the definition of horror. Funny, because as it turns out, it was pretty stupid.

The IFC channel played it in its letterboxed, uncut entirety the other night and I watched it straight through early Saturday morning. It was about what I expected. Both fun and worthless. Ronny Cox sold me as the grieving Dad, though. What a guy. I actually sat next to him at a Thai restaurant in Nashville one night. But I digress.

The gruesome transformation scene, while certainly awesome, left a little to be desired in this day and age and the plot line was... well, not really there. But still it scratched an itch I've had for 27 years and I feel I'm the better for it. Thank you, Beast Within, for closing that door. Here's the trailer. Watch it... IF YOU DARE!!!



Well, I'm off to watch the 1981 David Cronenberg classic "Scanners." I hear the guys head blowing up scene will leave you shocked!

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

So you WERE off watching cheesy movies on Saturday....

Kyle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kyle said...

What a great trailer.
It's funny how it pushes the last 30 minutes of the film only.
I'm pretty sure I've seen the first hour several times.... If only I would've stuck it out.. It might've got good.

By the way, just jump to the head-blowing-up scene in scanners, then jump to the brain-war-scene at the very end. The rest is worthless... Absolutlely Worthless.