Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Foothills Trail

This past weekend, my buddies Kyle & George and myself set out on an ambitious hike through the Chattooga section of the Foothills Trail. Actually, I thought we were setting out on a nice little walk through the woods. It became ambitious on its own. I learned something about myself over the course of the trip. I learned that I can now pretty much do anything and I learned that my foot hurts when I hike. Here I am at our first night campsite: We hiked just over 30 miles in three days. Yeah, I don't believe it either and if you told me I was going to do it I probably wouldn't have believed you. But we did. And I'm proud of it. George lead the way and Kyle kept us going with the comic relief. I needed them both or I would have probably been picked up by a giant hawk and carried away to be baby giant hawk food.

Do I romanticize the trip in my mind? Yes. Will I do it again? No... although, there is a part of you that recalls a strenuous experience that you survived with a desire to repeat it. So if I ever start talking about maybe wanting to do it again, just remind me that I can do anything and that my foot hurts when I hike.

Here's a little visual. Much like the trip, it has no ending.

8 comments:

Charlotte said...

Awesome! What a great accomplishment!

You know, with the Wilcox song and the still pictures, it seems like you all died, or just disappeared or something. Everyone did make it back right?

George said...

Cool. Hey, let's do the rest of the trail in the Spring, and hike to Table Rock.

Charlotte said...

I just noticed the bear....Classic.

Kyle said...

That damned ol' bear wound up tasting pretty good, didn't it?

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you! But there sure was a lot of gruntin' going on! Old age is a b*$##, ain't it? The girls and I did a little one mile hike at Crowders Mtn. State Park (local)last weekend, ate our PB&Js and hiked a mile back to the car. Made it home in time to watch the second half of the Panthers game. That's my kind of outdoorsey-time.

The Nicholsons said...

Reading all three accounts of this trip was hilarious. I think in between George's "overly ambitious" and Kyle's "this is bullsh*t" Goldilocks would have to choose your "strenuous experience" as just right.

Anonymous said...

Baby! Do the things he says to do.....DO IT!
Baby if you're feeling good, Baby if you're feeling NICE and you know your man is working hard..... He's worth a DEUCE!

Squid said...

I AM glad you three killed that bear before he got YOU! I would hate to think of three women going in the woods together to hunt down that man eater. We'd have no problem, you understand, it would just be a might messy. Of course, I'm sure Sam would be a tremendous help.