Friday, February 1, 2008

Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds


I remember when I was young, maybe 12 to 14 years old, my Mom ended up with a bunch of 8-tracks from her cousin Ricky. Among the various selections including things I didn't know then or now was one titled: Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of War of the Worlds. I was immediately drawn to the cover depicting the Martian tripod blasting it's Heat Ray upon the battleship Thunderchild. Bows and arrows against the lightning was all Thunderchild could muster.

It was the H.G. Wells classic story set to music and I loved it. I ended up with the LP version for Christmas one year. That was great. I guess I still have it, somewhere. Flash forward to college and I remember telling my buddy George about it. He got the CD and we enjoyed it again. Flash forward to last weekend and the same buddy George gave it to me for my birthday.

Over the past several days I've been listening to it and oh how it has brought me back to that time when I first heard it. Regular readers of this blog, both of you, know that I often mention wormholes. Well, this was a good one. Thanks buddy George!

I figured why not look it up on the internet, expecting to find nothing much but used copies. Turns out it's going through a remake right now. The guy Jeff Wayne, who apparently hasn't done much else, had it on a stage tour last year overseas. They have a website. There's even a DVD release of the live show, which I wouldn't mind having. Funny: 8-track, LP, CD, DVD.... what's next? Maybe I'll share it with my son in what ever format comes next. Here's a clip:

4 comments:

Charlotte said...

Rock on! I had forgotten all about that...

George said...

Very Cool!

Charlotte said...

Alright, I gotta ask a question. I know you haven't seen the full show, but what is up with the disembodied head on the far left screen?

Ferdlings said...

It's the Journalist guy telling the story. Richard Burton is dead so he couldn't make it.