Saturday, August 18, 2007

Did You Know?


Did you know that the AC/DC album "Back in Black" is the fifth best selling album of all time? 21 million copies. I got mine. I remember very well. It was maybe 1980 or 81 and it scared me. I was worried it would upset my parents since I was all John Denver and ABBA before that. I'm not sure what prompted me to get it but I'm quite sure it had something to do with Harry Conner telling me it was cool. Heck, I even bought it three times. Album, cassette and CD. (the CD was from the used bin at the local CD shop but I count it even if the guys in charge don't)

21 million is albums sold too. That doesn't even count the thugs at the flea markets selling pirated copies or illegally downloaded music files that I.... ahem, have no recollection of, Senator. Incedentally, the RIAA's website says that they "estimate conservatively that the U.S. music industry loses more than $300 million per year to street piracy alone."

Anyway, my point: I think that's great. It's a great album. It meant a lot at the time, helped to usher in a style of music that I am steeped in (80's metal) and is still relevant today. I'm happy.

One concern that I have is that Shania Twain's album, "Come on Over" is the eighth best selling album of all time with 20 million copies sold. That's interesting since "Back in Black" was released in 1980 and hers was out in 1997. AC/DC had a 17 year head start and only sold one million more? It's also interesting since the guys defined a music genre and she was just another pretty girl singing a pretty song.

I guess music tastes have changed and more people have more money to by CDs. Music has become MUCH more portable so maybe that makes sense. Maybe it has something to do with her not being any taller than Angus Young or that both albums were produced by the same guy. If I were Mutt Lange, I'd dress her up in a school boy outfit, maybe toss on a beret for good measure and bring all of them back on top.

This is what keeps me up at night.

2 comments:

George said...

No, I did not know that. However, I have to point out that by your reasoning (regarding pirated music and used CD's) Shania has probably ALREADY surpased ACDC in product distribution. After all, she IS hot!

Kyle said...

Bullshit!